Monday, May 8, 2023

Bread Crumbs

      “She didn’t actually say that, did she?” asked Marrianne flopping back on to her living room couch.  “Seriously?”
     “I don’t make this stuff up.  I just report it.”
     I told her about the new job opportunity, the conversation with Karen, and the ‘Oh Hey!’ from yesterday.
     ‘Abby’ had caught her 5 a.m. flight and was kind enough to let me sleep in the room until checkout time.  She did let me know if I ran up the tab on drinks and breakfast, she would find out my real name and track me down.  I had actually tried to give her my name a few times but she wanted no part of it.  When people want to get lost, they don’t leave bread crumbs.
     I needed a coffee with hot chocolate.  Marrianne loves caramel with cream.  Her house was on the way and I needed to tell someone about what might be the last great act of debauchery.  Right now, sharing wasn’t for Karen.
     Marrianne and I had never dated.  I tried when we were younger but she had casually explained that she liked her men 6’ 2” or taller.  She was 5’ 10” barefoot.  If she wanted to go out with her hair up and dressed in a pair of heels, she was an impressively imposing 6’ minimum.
     I was 5’ 7” on a good day …. with a full head of hair.  Us holding hands in public would look like photos of supermodels walking with their little kids to get ice cream.  I am not tall enough for her vagina to acknowledge my presence as a suitable suitor.  She does not date Scale Model Men.
     I bring a decent ear to the table and I don’t break things when I’m around.  Lately the exchange of dinner ideas has been pretty good.
     Normally a mid morning mocha and a quick conversation could ward off a world of worry.  Today wasn’t the day.
     Her face was a bit pensive.  
     “Is this too much too early in the morning?”
     “No.  It’s Karl and the kids.  Things are just getting ...”  Her voice trailed off.
     “Do you need anything?”  I worried I had overstepped.  “Should I leave?”
     “Thanks for the caramel with cream.  Yeah, I have an 11 o’clock and I just want to make sure everything is ready for the presentation.
     “I just can’t believe she said that.”
     “I know, right. ‘And if we aim just right’..” I started.
     “No, not that.  Karen and the guy from work.  Those things never …” Her voice trailed off again.
     “You’re a mess,” she said, changing the subject.  “Shoot me a text when you get home - BEFORE you pass out - so I know you got there safe.”
     “Yes, Mom,” I said letting myself out the front door.
     As I drove home it struck me that I had come across a few bread crumbs Marrianne thought were lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment