Monday, May 18, 2015

Day 95 - Momentum Part 2

     My Father pulled his car just passed the little sedan and clicked on his hazard lights.  You always turn your hazard lights on because you never know what to expect.
     "Stay in the car.  We need to see if we can get this puddle jumper out before the plows come."  The sedan was just passed the turn.  A plow coming at full speed wouldn't see it.  It wouldn't have mattered if we had cell phones at the time.  To this day there is no cell service on that strip of road.
     "OK,” I said.  He stepped out of the car and looked back and forth to see if anything was coming.  I rolled down my window and poked my head out to see what was happening.
     The little sedan was still.
     "Hello,” I heard my father call out.  "Hello?"  A light snow started.  He slowly moved towards the car.
     A young female Stotler rolled the window down.  There were tears in her eyes.
     "My parents are going to kill me," she said.
     "Are you hurt?" he asked.
     "No," she said sadly.  "I'm just stuck.  I was trying to get home from work before the storm."
     He crossed his arms and surveyed the situation.  You could tell he was holding back a lecture.  He looked up and down the road to see if anything was coming other than the storm.
     "Doesn't look like there's any damage to the car.  We can get you out," he finally declared.
     "I don't think," she started.
     "Well, we could drive to the nearest house and call George to see if he'll be able to tow it out.  I think he'll charge about $50.  I don't have $50.  Do you?"
     "No," she said crying a little.
     "I also want to try to get this out before the snow plow comes.  We're too close to the corner for them to see you.  They'll just bury you deeper.  Let me get behind the wheel.  Just let me know if anything is coming around the corner."
      My father sat in the little sedan.  The vehicle moved forward just a little then back just a little.  The next time it moved forward just a bit more then back just a bit more.  Finally, with one great lurch back, the car broke free of its snow prison.
     My father looked at both if us for a second and then drove the car back into the snow bank.
     "What...why...Mr.," she stammered.  "We were out."
     I was confused, too.
     "Come on out of the car, son."  He called, motioning me over to the little sedan.
     "I helped you get the car out.  Did you watch what I did to get it out?"
     "Yes, but,"
     "Good," He said definitively.  "Son, make sure no cars are coming."  I ran to the other side of the road, checked both ways, and gave him the ok sign.
     "You won't always have someone to help you get out when you get stuck.  You need to be able to survey the situation and get your self out when you can.  I know you can do this."
     With a deep breath she climbed into the driver’s seat.  The little sedan moved forward just a little then back just a little.  The next time it moved forward just a bit more then back just a bit more.  Finally it broke free.
     "I did it!"  She said, poking her head out the window.  "I did it.  I did it!"
     "Now, slow and steady," he instructed.  "No reason to try to fly home.  Your house ain't goin' no where.  You just have to get there safe.  Slow and steady is how you do it."
     We watched the car slowly disappear into the night.
     "My sister."  He said as we got back into the car.  "I'll have my sister dance with me at the telethon."

     I looked at him with a bit of confusion.

     "You won't always have someone to help you out when you get stuck but sometimes with a quick survey of the situation you can get out."

    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment